Christopher Nkunku is now a Chelsea player, having left RB Leipzig. The Frenchman has already bid his goodbyes to the fans in June, moving to Stamford Bridge.
The West London club have signed the France international since 2022. As a result, he has completed his medical and signed a contract since September, 2022.
Therefore, the Frenchman will join Mauricio Pochettino’s troops for the pre-season. Because he will start the 2023-2024 campaign in the Premier League, with the Blues players.
Both Graham Potter and Thomas Tuchel appreciate Nkunku. Nevertheless, he’s expected to dazzle impressively under the Argentine gaffer next season.
Christopher finished the 2022-2023 season strongly. As a result, the West London club would have missed out on signing him, if they hadn’t signed him in 2022.
Because of the Frenchman’s transfer to Stamford Bridge. Mauricio Pochettino told Chelsea to release Joao Felix, as he couldn’t accommodate him in the squad.
Joao Felix and Nkunku have many things in common, they are very similar profile-wise. Therefore, it will be unwise to keep both of them in the squad ahead of next season.
Christopher Nkunku stats for RB Leipzig in all competitions last season
32 goal contributions
Bundesliga Golden Boot winner
The Frenchman was able to lift a trophy with RB Leipzig last campaign. Because he won the DFB-Pokal, scoring and assisting in the final against Eintracht Frankfurt.
Unbelievably, Nkunku has now won the DFB-Pokal for two consecutive campaigns with RB Leipzig. So, he actually left the club with some achievements as a player.
Christopher Nkunku strengths and weaknesses
- Through balls
- Key passes
- Long shots
- Direct free-kicks
- Defensive work
- Ball movement
- Link-up play
Despite the fact that the Frenchman ticks all the boxes as an attacking midfielder. He has his own shortcomings. However, his strengths outweigh his limitations.
Nkunku seems to be a flawless penalty taker. However, he’s very predictable, having watched his penalty record throughout his career so far.
Despite using both feet, he likes to play his penalties on the right side. Therefore, it’s easy for goalkeepers to predict his movements.
He missed many games for RB Leipzig in the 2022-2023 campaign. Also, he was unavailable to participate in the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar for France.
Of course, Chelsea had enough injury issues last season. Adding Nkunku’s injury woes to the squad doesn’t sound great for the West London club.
Ineffective against centre-backs
Christopher doesn’t usually like to challenge centre-backs. Because he doesn’t always attack or move inside the opponent’s box.
Even though he’s well-equipped offensively. His physical ability doesn’t scare the opponent’s centre-back. That’s his biggest weakness.
What are the facts to know about Christopher Nkunku as he joins Chelsea?
1. His full name is Christopher Alan Nkunku, as he was born in Lagny-sur-Marne, Seine-et-Marne.
2. He started playing football at the age of six. So, he was noted for his speed, techniques and vision of the game.
3. Nkunku was a graduate of the Paris Saint-Germain academy, having made his professional debut for the Parisians in 2015.
4. Despite not playing regularly, he won Ligue 1 titles, the Coupe de France, and the Coupe de la Ligue.
5. Surprisingly, he struggled under Unai Emery and Thomas Tuchel at PSG. Because he once played as a wing-back under the former Chelsea boss.
6. Christopher joined RB Leipzig in July 2019 for a fee of €13 million plus €2 million in bonuses. However, the Bundesliga sold him to the Blues for around €70 million.
7. He scored in his Bundesliga debut match, which was their 4-0 victory over Union Berlin in the 2019-2020 campaign.
8. Nkunku once registered four assists in a single Bundesliga match. As a result, he became the second player to achieve such a feat in the Bundesliga’s history.
9. He was the first player to reach 10 goals in the German league as regards the 2022-2023 season. He was on fire last campaign despite injury issues.
10. As per the 2021-2022 season, in March, Nkunku scored as many goals (24) as Paris Saint-Germain. Obviously, he has a lot to offer the West London club.
11. Christopher won the Bundesliga Player of the Year award in 2021-2022. With 20 goals and 13 assists in 34 matches.
12. He became the third French player to score 30+ goals in all competitions in 2021-2022, behind Kylian Mbappe and Real Madrid Karim Benzema.
13. In the same vein, Nkunku was part of the four players to score 15+ goals and register 10+ assists in Europe’s top-5 leagues in 2021-2022.
14. Only Barcelona Robert Lewandowski had more goals than Christopher in the 2021-2022 season. Because he had 24 goals, while the Polish forward had 30.
15. Also, he scored as many goals as Erling Haaland in all competitions in February at Borussia Dortmund, which was 23 goals.
16. The Frenchman dined with the big boys in 2021-2022. He was one of the players to net 20+ goals and record 10+ assists in Europe’s top-5 leagues. With Liverpool Mohamed Salah and the likes.
17. In 2021-2022, the Blues’ new signing finished the season with 13 Bundesliga assists, having been 5 assists behind Thomas Muller (18).
18. In 2019-2020, Nkunku provided more assists (13) and created more chances (74) than any other RB Leipzig player in the Bundesliga.
19. Despite spending many months sidelined. He managed to win the Bundesliga Golden Boot (16 goals) in the 2022-2023.
UEFA Champions League
20. He scored a hat-trick in their 6-3 loss to Manchester City, in the 2021-2022 UCL group-stage fixture.
21. He became the first player in RB Leipzig’s history to record a hat-trick in the UEFA Champions League.
22. As a result, Nkunku was one of the players to score a hat-trick against Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City. So he joined Jamie Vardy and Lionel Messi.
23. In October 2022, Christopher became the first player in RB Leipzig’s history to score 10 Champions League goals for the club.
24. He has now scored more UCL goals for RB Leipzig than any other player in the club’s history. So, he looks like a massive addition to the Premier League side.
25. His finishing is on a different level as he loves to score goals. Also, the player loves to attack centrally on the pitch, especially towards the opponent’s box.
26. Christopher is a versatile player, he can comfortably play as a striker, wing-back, and attacking midfielder.
27. Nkunku can attack from the left-wing because of his 1v1 dribbling and ball-striking ability.
28. At the same time, the player can maneuver from the right-wing, because he uses his left foot in most actions towards the opposition’s territory.
29. Interestingly, Christopher Nkunku likes to lurk in the shadow of the opponent, making it very difficult to track him, particularly inside the box.
30. The Frenchman usually gets past the opposition’s players with his ball movements. He’s very confident on the ball as regards his dribbling skills.
31. Nkunku loves to create space for himself, he doesn’t rely on his teammates on the pitch.
32. Potential-wise, the player is a brilliant creative midfielder. As a result, he doesn’t need a creative midfielder to establish himself at Chelsea.
33. In most cases, Christopher usually drops down to the defensive midfield position, so as to be able to connect with his teammates.
34. He usually advances the ball brilliantly, particularly from the midfield to the opponent’s half.
35. The Frenchman is very clinical in front of goal; he doesn’t miss too many chances. Mauricio Pochettino can build the frontline around him.
36. Frankly, he can comfortably play under the 3-at-the-back or 4-at-the-back formation. He looks like an ideal addition for the Blues.
37. Nkunku was rejected by Monaco and Lens at his early stage in football for being too slight. Fortunately, he now leans on his body to dribble past opponent’s players.
38. Christopher missed the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar as a result of injury. And the Les Blues seemed to miss him in the attack, despite making it to the final.
39. Even though he’s an attacker. The Frenchman is very sound defensively. Because he likes to press the opponent’s players, forcing them to make mistakes.
40. Unbelievably, Nkunku can shoot with his left and right foot. Meanwhile, he’s very clinical in front goals, always on target.